Thursday, November 13, 2014

A few words from Mr. E

Gustavus hooked us up with a sensational school in Sotogrande International. I have already felt myself grow and develop as a teacher, both in confidence and practice, through my four weeks here. The nature of the IB school system is vastly different from anything I’ve experienced. The IB framework has helped me to expand and experiment, offering the chance to integrate my passions for social justice into my classroom. Teaching a period on science fiction and another on To Kill a Mockingbird, I have the unique opportunity to work with two very different genres, yet similarly apply them to issues of environmental and racial justice.
In sci-fi, I am preparing to lead an introduction to climate change. I plan to let students explore how they personally connect to nature, then choose a sub-topic of climate change to individually research. They will take this a step further by creating an actual proposal or creative invention that directly addresses the problem they explore. I want my students to feel empowered and driven to be agents of change not in 4 years when they graduate, but every time they step foot in my classroom, carrying that feeling and attitude along with them in backpacks to open in their worlds. Plus, we’re out here; it’s sunny and next to the beach… how can we not celebrate and preserve the environment that is spoiling us with a snow-free holiday?
My older, To Kill a Mockingbird class is similarly focusing on the concept of using literature and learning as a lens for social change. The trial and injustice of Tom Robinson in the novel is not an isolated fiction from America’s forgotten past. Rather, it maintains a tragic commentary that extends into our world today, both in the US and internationally. Tom Robinson is Emmett Till, he is Trayvon Martin and he is Michael Brown. I hope to present and discuss the reoccurring thread of injustice and racially fueled violence that unravels at the corners of America’s waving flag. After doing this, I hope to allow students the freedom to connect the injustice of the trial with issues and problems that speak to them and where they come from.     
Honestly, I have no clue how any of this will go. But I understand that I’m lucky to be in an environment that affords me the chance to take a shot and address some issues that are so difficult to discuss, but imperative that we address, especially in a school of such privilege and power. Hoping some powerful conversation and ideas come from the next few weeks. Enjoy the snow, MN!


--Mr. E

No comments:

Post a Comment